I come to my keyboard tonight with a heavy heart. I got three pieces of very upsetting news at work today and I would like to share each of the stories with you and ask for your support and prayer.
A friend and fellow co-worker of mine was admitted to the hospital a week or two ago. Her name is Rebecca Bryant and she worked with me on 6North as a unit secretary and LPN. She recently quit to pursue another direction in her career, but left a lasting impression on the staff, and on me personally. She is one of the kindest, most caring people I have ever come in contact with in my life. I am not just saying this because she is sick....she really is. She never has a cross word to say to anyone and always welcomed me with a smile when I got to work in the morning regardless of what kind of shift she had had that night. She was so sweet and compassionate with our patients, never in a hurry and so supportive and positive. If I had to pick someone who embodies the spirit of what I think a wonderful nurse would be, she is that person. I have thought of her often since she left 6North and remember in detail the email that she sent to the unit referring to us as her "family" when she left. Rebecca has never married and has no children. She lives with her sister, who is also a wonderful lady that I have had the opportunity to meet since Rebecca has been in the hospital. I have wondered several times how her new job was going and how she was, but haven't spoken to her until I found out that she was in the hospital. She told me that she noticed a knot in one of her breasts about a year ago and assumed that it was a cyst, since her sisters had suffered from them in the past. She wound up in the hospital facing the devastating news this week.....not only did she have breast cancer, but liver cancer as well. Her physicians have advised her that chemotherapy will only provide pallative treatment, and not a cure, so they made the difficult decision to move her to Hospice today. Our boss made the announcement and two friends of mine and I went down to see her before they moved her. She was still very optomistic at that time and hopeful that God would see fit to answer her cry for help and mercy. I stood there looking at her in her pale pink silk pajamas, amazed at how sick she looked compared to Friday when I saw her last, though the sparkle in her eyes had not faded as this terrible disease has weakened her body. I held her hand and told her that I loved her and was praying for her, and that God can do things for us that no one else can. I was overcome with sorrow and hurt as I looked into her eyes and knew that it might be the last time I would see my friend. I pray for understanding and acceptance tonight as I think about her situation. I know that God has a plan for each of us, and I try not to question Him, but it is so hard when you have to let go and walk away from someone without any answers as to why they are suffering. I pray that something I said may have comforted her, or maybe just our presence at her bedside let her forget for a few minutes. Please keep her and her family in your prayers as they face the coming days. I promised her that we would ALL be praying for her. That is the only peace I can find in such a terrible situation.
Earlier in the day, I recieved an email from my boss, Candi, to let me know that another friend and coworker of mine is in need of prayer. Then, as I was leaving work, she told me of another as well. Please remember Cindy Young and Amanda Varden, too. Cindy had colon cancer and has been in remission for a while now. Recently during a check up, her doctor found a suspicious spot on her lung and they are planning surgery on Wednesday to see if this is malignant or not. She has been through so much already and so has her family. She has a son that is in elementary school and a great husband as well. Cindy is an LPN on our unit, too and works with me a lot. I think so much of her and I just ask you to pray for her and her physicians as she faces this procedure on Wednesday. Amanda is a PCA on our unit and is in her early 20's. She isn't married and doesn't have any children, but has been suffering from a very bad case of endometriosis. Her doctor is doing a procedure on Wednesday and she told Candi that he told her there is a possibility that they will have to do a hysterectomy. She is so young to have to go through something like this and I ask that you remember her as well. She specifically told Candi that she wanted people to know, because she needed all the prayers she could get.
I know that this is a lot of information....but I also know that if you all pray with me, that is a lot of prayer, and that is what matters in times like these. Kevin and I were talking tonight and I started crying talking to him about all of this. He reminded me that we should be thankful for each and every day and for each and every blessing. He is always mindful of the blessings that we share together and as individuals. He tells me constantly that we need to thank God that we have those that we love and for all the many blessings that He has given to us, but I think his "preaching" really hit home with me tonight. You know, a couple of weeks ago, each of these people were going about, living their lives and had no idea where they would be today. Life is precious and short and we are all guilty of taking things for granted, I know I am. I want to tell each of you who read this that I love you and am thankful that God has placed you in my life. I am thankful for ALL the many things that He has done for me and pray healing and peace on these three that I have mentioned. I pray for the medical staff and caregivers that are helping each of them and I pray for their families. I ask that you do the same. Please also remember to pray for our leaders and those affected by the hurricanes. Prayer can move mountains. Let's all get on the same side and see if we can get things moving. Thanks in advance and God bless each of you. Have a wonderful weekend.
Friday, September 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







I am thankful for you, too! And I love you! I will remember your friends in my prayers. Did you read my post about the book we are reading at a church class? WONDERFUL book about the power of prayer! I think you would really enjoy it. Talk to you soon!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing these prayer requests. I am so very sorry to hear about your friends in these situations.
ReplyDelete