Sunday, February 7, 2010

Deep Water Faith


Sunday was great. Got up early and took my time getting ready for church. Mrs. Nancy's message was AMAZING!!! It was about having "deep water faith..." stretching the boundaries of what we are comfortable with and welcoming God as we step out into the deep water of the unknown. I am on a missions team for our church (even though I missed our first meeting due to work) and we are trying to come up with mission opportunities here in our community. Mrs. Nancy has challenged us to leave what is known, familiar and comfortable to enter into a deep water missions faith! I am so excited about what is to come in our church and look very forward to our next missions planning meeting and then to starting our new projects!!!
After church, Mom and I spent the day together. We had a great time and it was nice to get her mind off of the decisions they are making for Granny. We are hopeful that she will get to come home tomorrow, and have hired the sweetest lady to sit with her during the day. She sat with May May as well and was more than you could ask for in a caregiver. We are so thankful that God worked things out so that we know she is in good hands. She was quite confused tonight, so I am not sure what the future holds. Alzheimer's is an amazing disease, if that is even an appropriate word. If you have never had a loved one who has suffered from this terrible illness, you couldn't understand how it effects your life, day to day....everyday. She wakes up and begins calling our house to ask Mom the same 10 questions she starts each day off with. "What are you doing?" "Where is Laurel?" "Oh, is she married?" "To whom?" "Where is Lewis?"....so on and so forth....by the end of the day, usually, she has called anywhere from 20 to 40 times. This varies depending on how her day goes. Yet, at any given time, she can tell you how much money is in her checking account and all about her life as a child. Sometimes she asks when my grandfathers died. Sometimes she asks about her son that died. It is really hard to deal with. My poor Mom has been a valiant soldier against the effects this disease has on our family. I am thankful for her resilient care for Granny and for the patience she has to exhibit with each time the phone rings or she answers one of the "daily questions." I hope that if I am ever faced with this with any of the four of our parents, that I handle things with the same grace and love that Mom has. She doesn't see this in herself, but I see it every day and I am so proud of her. I can't imagine how hard this must be on her. As for Granny, I pray that as this disease progresses, as it inevitably will, that she doesn't realize what is happening to her. I guess that is my biggest fear for her. I pray that it is as easy as forgetting where you put your car keys.....that being in constant disarray isn't overwhelming to her. I also pray that my Mom and Aunt Joyce continue to deal with it with God's help and in His time. Please keep us all in your prayers.
As an update, I did work on the "Campbell Binder" as I talked about in the last blog, during the Super Bowl. I will keep everyone updated on my success!!!
Hope you all have a great Monday....not sure what mine will hold other than a MUCH NEEDED hair appointment with Lana!!!! Yay!


God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment